Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Departing from Canada...And the Western Monkey Is Coming With Me!

Look at that guy!

Won by me as a door prize at the '08 UWO Wine and Cheese, hidden in a glove compartment for a month and a half and then surrendered to the Windsor Chapter as our faithful, fuzzy mascot, and now, dressed up and lent -back- to me as a cuddle buddy on the trip! I was worried I was gonna have nothing for my sappy, homesick ass to hold onto! Better than my pack....or my own knees....
I wanted to dress it up like Helen Brennek and Shyam in a little orange jumpsuit and bandanna, but that'll have to wait until he gets back from Ghana and gets a substantial wash. The monkey, I mean, not Shyam.

Today, I'm home in Barrie for the last full day--the place I hang out with my dog and scramble around to put the last touches on foundation learning, get my financial and academic ducks in a row for my absenteeism, spend precious time with my family and darling boyfriend, and pack. We had the requisite going-away-party, with friends, family and friends of the family coming out to ask me the requisite questions: What are you doing in Africa? When are you going to Africa? Make sure you stay safe in Africa! It was nice to see them (and some of them even went so far as to pass me money for some of my expenses--Uncle Richard and Uncle Malcolm, I was shocked and surprised and SO thankful, thank you!!), and nice to be able to talk about what I was doing. I even had our brilliant Windsor Co-President and Return JF Holly here, five hours north, to chat with everyone, and tell more of her amazing Zambian stories. She was a brilliant asset, and really helped me clarify what I was doing, and how. I think she helped prepare the people I know for the sorts of stories I may have for them when I come back.

Despite all -my- rampant preparation for this, it's becoming increasingly funny how much is being left to the last minute--not necessarily by me (although I am often guilty), but sometimes by those around me. My list of stuff to do is still pretty huge, but as a huge change from my normal demeanor, I'm neither worried, tense nor nervous. In fact, I'm approaching thrilled--the thought of reuniting with those fabulous fellow goofballs met at the National Conference going on this adventure with me, working hard for something I believe in, meeting new amazing people and doing something totally new is keeping me from worrying about the junk that might happen here while I'm gone. Right now, the worst I'm worried about is teaching my semi-skittish mom to take care of my pet snake while I'm gone.
I think much of this assurance is spurred on by my call to my coach Kristy in Tamale, who gave me the single best treatment for putting me at ease and infusing me with confidence in my ability to do this: more information. Apparently Nalerigu is a pretty happening place; it has one of the best hospitals in the Region, very kind and interesting people, electricity, and the PARED office (which itself boasts employees who speak english and Mampruli, motorbike transportation, a dial-up internet connection, and some amazing people to boot). My prospects for living could be fairly comfortable, with people with lots of kids who also speak enough of my language to minimize the barrier. The biggest pleasant surprise to me was that not only does Nalerigu have a secondary school, but a -drama club- that Mr. Moses, my boss at PARED, is going to put me into contact with. How can I NOT jump at this opportunity? I swear I almost had a glee-triggered heart attack.

I think right now, my biggest drive is to just get out there and do some WORK! Staying in Canada in my municipal office job, I definitely never had this problem.
Tomorrow afternoon, I trek through the Ontario April weather (which right now, despite LOOKING beautiful outside, is hovering around 4 degrees celsius) down to the Toronto EWB house, say a (likely incredibly tearful and huggy) goodbye to the boyfriend and family, calm myself down, and reconnect with everyone/vie for a sleeping space!

1 day til I have to fend off tears for my family and Chris, and

8 hard-workin' days til flyout to Accra.

-Ash out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cash Making Opportunities - The Beginning the working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internets Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home.......


www.onlineuniversalwork.com