Sunday, June 22, 2008

Photo Roundup #2

I'm currently Ill with a capital "i", so I'll post extra later: for now, photos from the past weeks;


Rita, my seamstress, working on the manual sewing machines that turn out most of the clothes in the Northern Region

Mother and children, sowing maize at Kukigbini--a community in which we're running a CIFS food security project.


Um, CuteOverload? I win. Two of the three stooges, my tiny cats at the house.


Nalerigu women carrying firewood to sell--a last resort for a majority of women in the North when the food runs out, and a major player in the desertification and lack of fertility in the farmlands here


A village chief carving the handmade hoes that most people, young and old, use to till acres of land with their hands and the strength of their backs

Boys and girls of Kukigbini, androgynous through malnutrition and frightened of me, but respectfully standing still--their mothers wanted a photo.


PARED at work--a village woman collecting the culmination of a partnership with OXFAM, a metal donkey cart for carrying water, goods, crops, and often people.

There are so, so many more--this week I venture into tourist country, to Damongo and Mole National Park for the midsummer JF retreat. Expect updates when healed, rested, and able to eat again!

1 comment:

Sam van Berkel said...

GREAT pictures. see you soon.