Saturday, May 24, 2008

Last Day in Tamale

The View from the Bus: the busy streets of Tamale
Walking through the crowded streets of early market day, Tamale seems dirty and crazy, but really pretty friendly. People want to talk to you, and you find you want to talk to people. Running errands becomes easier the braver you become: you will have to dart across the crowded street between large busses, packed taxis, screeching motorbikes, goats, sheep and other terrified pedestrians; you will have to coax and barter with men in your Ghanaian accent, telling them that your friend only paid half of his asking price for a cheap chinese-imported plastic mirror; you will have to refuse beggars and children, looking to profit from the wealth that comes tattooed on you with your white skin. But amongst all this, the thick clouds of leaded gasoline smoke, the yelling voices and the old-Kensington-market smell of meat butchered on a street with a machete, there are friends hiding everywhere.
The MetroMass bus station: as many people as Tokyo, in one eighth the space.

Today I accidentally drew a crowd of 20-- refusing a marriage proposal with the fact that I am "married" led me to bring out my photo book, and answer four-dozen impassioned questions about snow, busses, the homeless, and whether they could marry my sister (thats you, Steph! Want a Ghanaian husband?). An offhand mention of how a new acquaintance had the same name as my godfather led to an invitation for dinner, and an offer of a free TV. Many of them, upon learning that I work for an NGO, had some questions that I ask myself: what am I doing for the Ghanaian people? What will I tell Canada about them? What will I do to help Ghanaians free themselves from poverty? I send the questions back at them--ask -them- what I should do. Most of them laugh in the good-natured way so common here, and say they do not know.
Tomorrow I embark on my first combined bus-trotro ride on my way back to Nalerigu. With luck, the place I am staying (hopefully for the summer) will be ready for my arrival--but Cat warns that I am in West Africa, where things rarely go right. We will see how it goes, whether I get the chance to start putting down roots immediately, or if it needs to be deferred a little longer.

When I get to Nalerigu, I have quite the task in front of me. Along with getting myself set up in my place (with a post with pictures to follow, of course), I have to meet the King of the Mamprusus, the Chief of Nalerigu, the District Assembly office, and the Ministry of Food and Agriculture outpost. Plus, we have to start on our work for the CIFs project--food security initiatives in East Mamprusi villages, including training, field facilitation, and proposal writing.
We'll see how this goes! Wish me luck!
-Ash

3 comments:

sherih said...

Ash:

Just wanted to let you know how incredibly proud of you I am - you're strong, brave, ambitious, and I know that you will make a difference with what you do throughout you're life. No matter how small you will make a difference and you will take this experience throughout your entire life - it will change you but it will change you for the better and these experiences will be something that you draw from and gain strength from throughout your life --- if you can make it through an experience like this the rest of life's little bumps and lumps will be nothing -

My little neice has grown up and you're amazing -

I know it's a major culture shock and some major adjustments but hang in there kiddo - you can do whatever you put your mind to and I know you will make the most of it --- take lots of pictures, enjoy, be safe, learn lots, be safe, try everything new that you can cause you may never get a chance to do those things again in your lifetime, be brave, be safe (yes again be safe) and have fun with it -- you'll make more of it if you can just have fun doing it --- you're strong and you can do it

Love you - miss you
sheri
marco says: hi and don't come home married - Chris might not like that
Sheri says:by the way since when are you married????? is there something you didn't tell me about before you left??? I know - it's just easier to use that one than to turn someone down --- I've actually used it myself

dmanuel said...

Hey Ashley...your Mom told us of your marriage proposal.....hold out for a DVD player with that Television.!But seriously , great Blog ! I was telling your Mom how much I admire you for doing this. (I once went camping for 5 days--and would have crawled over broken glass for a private indoor toilet and shower!!!)
What stories and experiences you have/will have. Looking forward to pictures and stories when you get back, the summer at MPAC will not be the same !. Take Care1
Darren Manuel
MPAC

Frankee said...

Hmmmmm marriage proposals eh? I wonder what I would have said two years ago. lol I'm thinking about you Ash! It sounds like you are adjusting well, I can't imagine how difficult it must be. You have my undying respect for your bravery. But, I know that if anyone can be successful doing the job it's you. You've got the passion and brains to accomplish your goals and some genuine good. Stay strong and safe my friend.