Saturday, May 17, 2008

This isn't just shock. It's an earthquake.

This is, by far, the most difficult thing I have ever had to do.

The climate, the culture, the people, the distance, the difficult lines of communication, and intense feelings of loneliness conspire to make this, my third day in Nalerigu, very hard. Culture shock hit me like a wave, at the same time that illness from food poisoning left me embarrassed, dirty, crying and dehydrated on a crowded public bus to a place I have never been. Being in Ghana now is like being on another planet; the strange people speak strange languages, and are afraid of you (somewhat understandably) for your differences; the food is strange and difficult to eat, and the water comes in astronaut-sealed plastic bags. It is difficult, expensive, and somewhat unreliable to communicate with your loved ones. The similarities you see between your home and this new place are facades—the differences emerge at simple scratching of the surface.

I have never experienced anything like this.

In-country learning was a positive experience, despite sunburn, and being with fellow Canadians helped stave off culture shock excessively well. However, going from spending every day with them, to spending no time at all, has certainly taken its toll on me. I may have some feedback for the EWB manual and operations next year.

At the time of writing this, I am able to maintain the confidence that things will get better. I'm hoping that this mindset will be the one that is correct. I already have a few best-practices, from the inevitable falling on my face:

Don’t let them leave you alone when you first get to your community; find a family or a home to stay in, have regular social interaction, get involved and stay distracted.

Don’t get sick the first night. Any sickness throws you headlong into culture shock and turns a bad emotional situation even worse.

Don’t think it’s not normal, expected, and dealable. This one’s a toughie, I can tell you.

From the 17th til the 24th I'm in Tamale, at a CIFS training, and staying at the EWB house. And after that, I move in with my host family! I'll have better things to report soon!

Missing Canada, and all of you,

-Ash

2 comments:

Emily said...

ashley! i know exactly how you're feeling (except for the diarrhea part....yet. some of the ghana girls brought depends - did you participate in that purchase?)

i've been feeling much the same way. it was fine being with other canadians, and then i spent time with my LTOV coach, which was also fine. but this weekend i was all by myself in an extremely impoverished rural village where only one person spoke limited english. i was transported all over to see the village chiefs and delivered a baby from a mother with HIV AIDS. it was so overwhelming, and the freezing nights didn't help to thaw my shock.

anyways, i just wanted you to know that you're not the only one with culture shock - you have faraway support! i hope things get better soon.

i love reading your blog (you're a talented writer)! i've put up two new posts but i doubt my audience is catching on (no comments yet!). haha...

keep strong.

RRStratas said...

Hey ASH
I am loving your blog,and missing you!
We are not only keeping you in our thoughts but sending you love and strength and confidence and hugs!!! Can you feel it?!?!?
Keep up the positive thinking and know that you are missed and admired,
Lots of love
From Robin
and Canada at large!